[sugar] [OLPC-Games] Wordsmith ( Scrabble ) :GSoC application

Edward Cherlin echerlin
Fri Apr 11 15:36:14 EDT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Aditya Vishwakarma
<adi.vishwakarma at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am Aditya Vishwakarma. An Information Technology student at NSIT, Delhi.
>
> I am working on making a Scrabble game as a GSoC project called Wordsmith.
> The wiki page is located here -
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wordsmith(scrabble)

Does Scrabble exist in Hindi or any other language of India? I know
how we could support Scrabble in any linear alphabetic writing such as
Cyrillic alphabet, but I have trouble imagining it in Arabic, Chinese,
Amharic, or Japanese kana.

> Scrabble is an highly enjoyable and social. And it puts real motivation to
> extend the vocabulary. After an online game of scrabble, the players would
> not only be refreshed, but have a much stronger vocabulary than before. I
> believe with the right implementation, this game can easily turn out to be
> one of the best games on XO laptops.

I have not found it to increase vocabulary significantly. Does anybody
know of any studies on this?

> I would love to hear your feedback and comments.
>

> Thanking you
> Aditya Vishwakarma

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/