[sugar] interoperating with non-Sugar Jabber clients

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Thu Apr 10 16:20:05 EDT 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 10:12 PM, Morgan Collett
<morgan.collett at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Dafydd Harries
>  <dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
>  >
>  >  It would be nice if the Chat activity could be used to converse with non-Sugar
>  >  Jabber clients. The presence service has some code to generate invitations
>  >  when somebody initiates a conversation, but Sugar doesn't do anything with
>  >  these invitations.
>  >
>  >  One open question is how to associate the invitation with the Chat activity.
>  >  Should the association be hardcoded? What should the shell do if Chat is not
>  >  installed?
>
>  Given that there are no alternatives to Chat, I'm in favour of
>  hardcoding it, at least for a proof of concept. If Chat's not
>  installed, drop the invitation on the floor.
>
>  sugar.presence emits 'private-invitation' with the Telepathy text
>  channel for the connection with the non-Sugar client.
>
>  Sugar team, can we (in the shell) iterate over the installed
>  activities to find Chat?
>
>  The issue I'm not sure of is how to pass the Telepathy channel in the
>  invitation to Chat.

Do you already have some code I can see to understand better the situation?

We can hardcode Chat, but I guess we would like to avoid that.

This new kind of invitation can only be consumed by Chat and
Chat-likes? Not other activities?

Thanks,

Tomeu