[sugar] A Sugar TODO List, of Sorts

Simon Schampijer simon
Tue Apr 8 12:56:38 EDT 2008

Hi,

? Add "AlertBox" for use with palettes/notifications

Eben, can you elaborate here a bit more?

Eben Eliason wrote:
> [...]
>
>>  >   ? Color copy/paste buttons in activities
>>  Which colors should take? Just the local colors?
>
> We have tickets for this.  We want to color the copy button in the
> color of the activity being copied from.  Ideally, we'd color the
> paste button in the color of the selected clipping on the clipboard.
> (#3692, #3693)  We could allow the activity to override the color of
> the copy button, if they wish to provide fine grained support for
> coloring it based on the author of the current selection.
>
>>  >   ? Fix visual style for drag'n'drop
>>  Can you specify?
>
> Please refer to the last few slides at
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Designs/Frame.  The plan is to continue
> using the standard cursor while dragging, but placing an icon
> representation (or a graphical one?) centered under the cursor.  When
> the cursor is placed over an object that can accept the drop, it
> should turn into the modified cursor with the '+'.  When the cursor is
> placed over an object that accepts drops, but not of the type provided
> (or not at all?) it should turn into the modified cursor with the
> 'N/A' symbol instead.  Where applicable (toolbars, frames, trays), it
> would be great to highlight the item (or region) accepting the drop
> with the black hover effect.  Note the difference between a tray that
> accepts a drop (such as the clipboard, or the people tray) and an
> object that accepts a drop (such as a running activity, or a storage
> device).
>
>>  >   ? Expose an avatar property for buddies in PS?
>>  svg? any pixbuf? which size limit?
>
> This is one of those "just for fun" features, which would be helpful
> to have at some point in the future, if not now, for identity
> purposes.  It would require, of course, adding a "take a photo" step
> to the intro sequence and the control panel.  I imagine that a small,
> static, 256px (square) image would suffice here.  It would be a
> pixbuf, I imagine.  The possibility of creating SVG avatars (which
> could still use XO colors) is intriguing, but we don't yet have an SVG
> editor for Sugar anyway.
>
>>  >   ? Expose the activity name, activity preview in PS
>>  Activity preview is doable? Which screen size? Which maximum size for
>>  transfer in the mesh?
>
> The hope would be to use the same code that creates the Journal
> preview for this purpose, so an activity would only have to worry
> about generating a preview in one way.  The preview would be passed
> around at the same size, and potentially only when requested (for
> instance, only when a child hovers to reveal the secondary palette.)
> A placeholder could appear while the image loads in.
>
>>  >   ? Make activity zoom level button cycle active activities?
>>  What's the doubt here?
>
> Not much really.  I wanted to see other's opinions on it, I guess,
> though it seems quite reasonable.  It effectively retains precisely
> its current behavior, and adds a potentially useful function to it.

Don't we would use alt-tab to cycle through the available activities. I
would leave the activity zoom level button to only reveal the current
active one.

>>  >   ? Tweak "battery fully charged" behavior
>>  What needs tweaking?
>
> It continually tells me my battery is fully charged even though the
> meter isn't maxed out.  I don't care so much about fixing the
> underlying code which calculates this....simply make sure that if we
> report that it's full, we ignore the actual reading and fill up the
> meter to be internally consistent in what we show the kids.

This looks more like an issue in the logic to me. Should not be hard to fix.

>>  >   ? Implement white vs. colored battery style
>>  When is one or the other?
>
> I have more detailed mockups of the device icons somewhere.  The basic
> idea is that the colored icons represent when a device is active, and
> a white when inactive.  An inactive battery is one which is charging,
> instead of discharging.  An inactive speaker is muted.  Etc.  We
> should apply this logic consistently across the devices for which it
> makes sense.
>
>>  >   ? Add device notifications (battery, storage, etc.)
>>  Can you specify each of those?
>
> I can make this more clear in tickets or the wiki later.  To summarize:
>
> - when external devices get plugged in, removed
> - when wireless devices connect/disconnect
> - when any device needs attention (low battery, weak wireless, etc.)
>
>>  >   ? Identify the school server visually in the mesh
>>  Ok. Which actions contains the palette?
>>  >   ? Attach "register" option to the school server icon
>>  Ok
>
> For starters, let's offer "connect" (just like APs should have), and
> "register".   Perhaps we'll have other services available in the
> future.
>
>>  >   ? Add list view, group people under activities
>>  Do we have mockups?
>
> Not yet, working on them. They will appear very similar to the
> activities list in home.  The big difference is that we might have
> grouping for all of these, with activities in home grouped by
> "identity threads", and the other views revealing participants lists
> under the activity icons.
>
>>  >   ? Add modal alert before destructive changes (eg. change channel)?
>>  From where can the channel be changed?
>
> Well, as far as I understand it, choosing an AP on a given channel
> will destroy any communications on the current mesh channel.  If the
> selection of an AP would break communications, we'd want to indicate
> this.

I guess one point that we should put on the list is an API for modal
alerts. The Wep-key dialog for example could be 'sugarized' with the new
API as well.