[sugar] XO experience in the classroom - Carol Lerche's daughter

Gary C Martin gary
Fri Apr 4 23:29:06 EDT 2008

On 5 Apr 2008, at 03:18, Carol Lerche wrote:

> They were so excited when they went to use
> them, they couldn't wait until they started up to start pressing all
> the
> buttons. Each group had four kids at a time, and my mom was constantly
> supervising them so if they had any problems, she could
> troubleshoot. Which
> happened quite a lot, as they are very impatient. Their main problem
> was
> that they didn't want to wait for the programs to come up; when it
> didn't
> pop up immediately, they would click on something else to try it,
> which of
> course made it start even slower, and so they got very frustrated
> and my mom
> had to close out everything before they would be able to try again.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up Robin ? I've heard very
little front line feedback like this so far so it's great to read.

So... a suggestion to improve the new Sugar UI launching behaviour:
When an activity is launched, immediately take over the full display
with 'fake' activity placeholder, while the real activity is launched.
The display would be a plain white (or black maybe), with a large,
pulsing icon for the activity in its centre (large XO icon size as
you're now at a  close-up activity zoom level).

No other buttons immediately visible to click, though the frame would
continue to be accessible if a user really needed to switch away and
do something else.

If we do get to have an efficient compositor at some point, sugar
could do a lovely icon zoom transition, from where ever it had been
launched from, to the large centred display, and fade out the rest of
the display content.  Think that extra eye candy can wait a while for
now though ;-)

Regards,
Gary