[sugar] new sugar work into joyride

Mikus Grinbergs mikus
Thu Apr 3 20:19:33 EDT 2008

Tomeu wrote
> the last joyride build (1825) includes a big part of the shell
> redesign explained in http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Designs.

I'm running Joyride 1825 now on my G1G1.  The principal difference
I've noted is in my use of the Home view - now that the currently
running activities are depicted in the Frame, I no longer need to
press F3 when I want to return to a running Activity by clicking on
its icon.

There is a "learning curve" involved with the revised Home view
(F3).  It took me a while to realize that NOTHING appears in the
"circle view of launchable Activities" until I have gone into the
"list" view and marked the star on each desired Activity.   And then
it took a while more to realize that if I clicked within the Home
view (as opposed to on the Frame) on the icon of an already-running
Activity, a NEW INSTANCE of that Activity would be launched.  [The
small icon (in the graphic F3) for "most recent Activity" is the
only icon within the Home view that provides a 'Resume' option.]

In the "list" view of available Activities, I can't press PgUp PgDn
to scroll - to view the whole list, I have to laboriously click (or
drag) the scrollbar.  Also, in that list I can only click on the
icon to launch that Activity -- it would require less "positioning"
if I were able to select a whole line and click anywhere within it.

[I dual-boot between Joyride and Update.1.  It amuses me that the
"list of launchable Activities" includes both those installed by
Joyride (in /usr/share) and those I manually installed for Update.1
(in /home/olpc).  If the same Activity is installed both places,
seems like I get to choose which version to launch.]

mikus