[sugar] datastore use cases for activities

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Thu Sep 27 13:52:41 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 14:22 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2007, at 13:20 , Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> > == Activity session stops ==
> > == Activity automatically saves its state ==
> > == User presses 'Keep' button in a running activity instance ==
> > == A Journal entry is resumed ==
> > == User presses 'Insert image' button in a running activity
> > instance ==
> >
> > Any activity author that sees these use cases as insufficient for
> > their
> > activities, please jump and tell.
>
> * a picture catalogue activity that can display all pictures in the
> journal and allows brushing them up and make a slide show
>
> * a little animation that pulls random images from the journal and
> displays them.
>
> * an alternative view into the datastore - maybe using a 2D layout,
> heaps, whatever, displaying nice statistics  about space use

These three activities would need free access to the journal, thus
having the capability to violate the user's privacy if malicious.

My understanding is that on install time, an activity can request
special permissions from Rainbow.

> * a multimedia ebook authoring activity that allows putting in
> arbitrary media objects (sound/video/images/text) from local storage
> plus video and audio streamed from the internet. When an embedded
> image is then brushed up externally, the new version should be
> available to this activity, too.

This activity can request the user to choose the objects it wants to be
inserted in the current activity. The activity will copy them to its own
space and entries, so no automatic update of objects will be provided.

Eben has explained his reasons for auto-contained entries in the thread
"Importing objects from journal" and you seem to have agreed with this
approach for now.

> * a presentation tool where I arrange everything to the point I want
> it and the press "keep" to have a good copy in the journal. When
> resuming that copy to show my presentation I do not want it to get
> automatically overwritten when done.

This will be provided once we have versions.

> * a physics experimentation/simulation course, with projects done the
> whole year long, as individual activities. At the end of the school
> year students prepare a presentation that lets them flip from project
> to project, while still being able to touch up the individual projects.

Looks like the same use case as the ebook authoring activity to me.

Tomeu