[sugar] Importing objects from journal

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Tue Sep 25 10:13:55 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 14:49 +0100, Henrique Ser wrote:
> Hello Tomeu, all,
>
> Well, my next task for MaMaMedia's activities on the XO is precisely
> integrating with the datastore, because we have supported puzzle images
> from Paint or Camera in the past by getting them from the filesystem and
> this will obviously not work anymore, not only because of the upcoming
> security constraints but more simply because Paint and Camera no longer
> store their files there.

Right.

> So, what to do? Should we wait until there is better support, assuming
> it will not take long, or do I start coding with what exists, much like
> Write and Browse already do, and a simple upgrade path will be provided
> once things change?

If you do what Write is doing now (sugar.graphics.objectchooser), we'll
make it easy for you to adapt to the new API/implementation.

sugar.graphics.objectchooser implementation will change later to be a
wrapper around the D-Bus service I talked before.

> While we have the line open, should a puzzle based on an image grabbed
> from the Journal be stored as a blob on the puzzle storage, or should we
> link to it and follow whatever changes com to be?

You should make a copy and store it along with the rest of your data, as
we won't provide facilities for linking between objects.