[sugar] Pippy and Calculate

Mitch Bradley wmb
Wed Sep 5 13:33:29 EDT 2007

> I don't think Python's evaluations are useful as a calculator to
> a child, though.  You would have to explain this:

> 4

> 0

When I was in elementary school, we first learned division with
remainder, so the result of 3 / 4 is 0 remainder 3.

Fractions are a more advanced topic, and decimal fractions yet another
level.

I think we are applying assumptions based on "already having learned the
whole wad of mathematics convention" to learners. Mathematics learning
is a process.  People are not born with algebraic notation wired in; it
is an artifice like any other language.  People are born with the
ability to learn such artifices, but not with a particular one.