[sugar] Review of Build 539, firmware Q2C18

Ryan Pavlik abiryan
Sat Sep 1 15:24:04 EDT 2007

It is clear you have looked very carefully at the software.  I'd
recommend trying to get an "executive summary" at the least (if not
reading all) of the traffic on this mailing list, as it would explain a
few of the questions you have.  The journal is replacing the file system
and saving is implicit, which explains why a) you don't see a save/open
button in AbiWord and b) why the GTK open/save dialog hasn't been worked
on - it's going completely away.

I am ill-qualified to address your other concerns, but I thought I might
pitch in where I could.

Ryan

Ivo Emanuel Gon?alves wrote:
> Warning: This is long.
>
> This is a review for Build 539, firmware Q2C18.  It's somewhat
> outdated, what with new builds and firmware versions available, and me
> being busy and also meticulous with my tests.  Hopefully, most of the
> points addressed will still have some use to improve the laptop.
>
> Build 539 was my first upgrade.  I previously used the stable build of
> the 400 series (can't remember the exact number, I think it was 438)
> that came by default on this B4 system and, in the process, I wrote a
> review of it[1].
>
> _The upgrade process and the new Sugar_
>
> The first thing I noticed after upgrading was that the boot process
> took a bit longer.  Or at least I think so.  Not being able to
> benchmark it against the older system, I have no way to know if it was
> a placebo effect caused by my expectations.  Still, the upgrade
> process was pretty nice and easy.  I liked that.  I wonder though how
> many updates will the disk drive support before it becomes corrupted.
> It's a flash-based media, after all.
>
> When Sugar loaded, I noticed three things: new programs, an
> application already loaded with an icon similar to Write, and a
> triangle.  I thought the triangle was a notification that there was a
> device mounted: my USB pen drive.  Hovering the mouse over the
> triangle showed a large black rectangle, as if the information was
> corrupted or there were missing font glyphs.  I didn't know what it
> was at the time, but later I found out it was a notification of a
> wireless network close by.  Speaking of graphic glitches, I noticed
> that sometimes after the battery is discharged, and I put it charging
> again, the battery notification reports that "the battery is fully
> charged", which is obviously impossible.
>
> The icon similar to Write turned out to be Journal.  It loads by
> default, so it must be a central piece of the XO experience.  I have
> to confess though that besides listing previous activities that I have
> gone through it doesn't seem to have any other purpose.  Am I mistaken
> or is this not much of an important feature?
>
> The Journal was my first experience of the new Sugar interface menus,
> and -- I have to confess -- wasn't a positive one.  I loved the
> simplicity of the early Sugar interface.  Now, I see an aberration in
> the history of Interface Design: options split by tabs.  By tabs!  I
> don't have screenshots, but use your memory.  The Abiword of the 400
> series had a beautiful, simple interface.  The Abiword of build 539 is
> a mess, complicated by a clunky, unintuitive interface.  Even the
> Open/Save buttons are gone now, and it does feel clunky and confusing.
>  Yes, it now allows space for tables and, yes, it now has these handy
> mesh activity options, but I do not think the overall effect is well
> conceived.
>
> I have been thinking how to improve the interface and, while it may
> not be the best solution, it is a fine proposal to consider.

> [...]

Ryan Pavlik
AbiWord Win32 Platform Maintainer, Art Lead: www.abisource.com
AbiWord Community Outreach Project: www.cleardefinition.com/oss/abi/blog/

"Optimism is the father that leads to achievement."
 -- Helen Keller

"The folder structure in a modern Linux distribution such as Ubuntu
was largely inspired by the original UNIX foundations that were
created by men with large beards and sensible jumpers."
 -- Jono Bacon, The Ubuntu Guide