[sugar] Test Meeting Minutes, 10/22/07

Kim Quirk kim
Mon Oct 22 14:17:38 EDT 2007

Attending: Alex, Kim, Michael, Danny, Bernie, Ricardo

Test Sprint -

   1. Review of test plans on the wiki
   2. Test Activity
   3. Tinderbox

   - Michael summarized the Test Activity logging feature: purpose is to
   reduce the cost of testing by distributing the testing and automate the
   logging upload. In the short term, we should focus on getting the logging
      - Modify sugar to put a wrapper around an activity to turn on
      its logging. Then a crash or a user initiated activity close will zip up
      files and send them to a central server.
      - The central server can start off with a generic account
      (perhaps password-less smtp, or something). Could possibly have
a local smtp
      server to send an email with attachment.
      - Start with a list of the system status (build version,
      firmware versions, maybe some of Yani's network config info)
      - Is there a lot of overlap with syslog? Bernie can probably
      help with getting the logs

   - The three pieces that need to work for this are:
      1. Local collection of logs
      2. Packaging of the logs for sending
      3. Reliable delivery in the face of network downtime

Things we learned from sprint:

   - Takes too long to get outside developers up to speed and
   contributing
      - focused documentation
      - too much overhead to get hosting for access to git repository

   - On the manual side, we also didn't have enough planning to get
   people going quickly:
      - Need to get on Trac
      - Need to get on mailing lists
      - Need to get on irc
      - Need to edit wiki pages

Should we have someone spend a few hours on the getting started wiki pages
so that new developers or testers really can get started.

Should we hire someone to organize the community efforts; answer their
questions
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/TestMtg%2C_2007-10-22<http://wiki.laptop.org/go/TestMtg%252C_2007-10-22>
)