[sugar] Activity launching changes

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Mon Oct 8 10:39:49 EDT 2007

On 10/8/07, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2007, at 16:02 , Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
>
> > On 10/8/07, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
> >> No idea, I did not quite get how the new regime works. Could you
> >> please explain it at
> >>
> >>         http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_DBus_API
> >
> > Well, I'm not sure it make sense to explain it there, since DBus is
> > not involved in it anymore.
>
> This page is the only existing low-level documentation of what an
> activity is. We can certainly rename it, but this is the place where
> it needs to be documented. If you don't do it, I will have to reverse-
> engineer Sugar again and document it. Wouldn't be the first time.

I updated your page. It was just removing the informations about the
factory and integrating the exec command explanation from
Activity_bundles.

> > See the Exec field explanation on
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activity_bundles
> >
> > When starting an activity instance Sugar is now just launching the
> > command line specified by the Exec activity.info field, adding
> > --activity-id and --object-id to it. This just work for activities
> > that supports multiple processes.
> >
> > Activities that doesn't support multiple process will have to
> > implement some sort of IPC to ensure process uniqueness.
>
> That means all instances of one activity run in the same security
> container? Otherwise, what methods are ther efor cross-container IPC?

I think with the current Rainbow you can use DBus cross containers.
Plans for the future are a question for the rainbow team. It's not
supposed to be a general Rainbow feature though, just a special case
for activities that really can't run in multiple processes.

Marco