[sugar] [laptop-accessibility] GPLv3 IRT Fonts

Albert Cahalan acahalan
Thu Nov 29 12:42:30 EST 2007

On Nov 29, 2007 12:12 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
> On 29/11/2007, Albert Cahalan <acahalan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > These fonts have terrible coverage. Not even Latin-1 is covered.
> > You get 80 of the 96 characters in the 0x00a0 to 0x00ff range.
>
> Because its free, hopefully that will change - but not under the name "Tiresias"

That's a big "hopefully" there. As things are right this moment,
the fonts are definitely not good. I have doubt that the fonts are
all the useful as a starting point, but hey, if you wish to work on
them you're free to do so.

> Yes, all SIL fonts ought to be in Fedora :-)

Some of them are kind of redundant. One of the three big
fonts for the Latin alphabet is lacking italic and bold, so I
wouldn't bother with that one.

Going in the opposite direction from accessibility, the XO
is lacking decorative fonts. Consider the fonts normally used
for diplomas, wedding invitations, etc.

> Sorry, I'm not clear what the issue with GPLv3 is here? :-)

I didn't mention that, but I see the issue.

Fonts get embedded into PDF documents. You might want
to use a Creative Commons license for your work, but the
GPL font prohibits that. The GPL font may even be incompatible
with non-GPL fonts in the same document.