[sugar] Royal National Institute for the Blind low-vision fonts now under GPL v3 - use in OLPC?

Peter Korn Peter.Korn
Fri Nov 23 12:35:29 EST 2007

Hi guys, Jim,

I just received word (see attached) that the Tiresias family of fonts,
designed by the Royal National Institute for the Blind for clarity and
ease of recognition by folks with vision impairments are now available
under GPL v3.  The family includes fonts recommended and tested for use
in signage, print, television, and computer use (the latter is "PCFont"
- see http://www.tiresias.org/fonts/pcfont/about_pc.htm for details).

I would like to recommend we consider redistributing these fonts with
OLPC, or otherwise making them readily available to OLPC users (at the
appropriate time in the OS release/update cycle of course...).  Tiresias
Keyfont is something we should consider using in future updates to the
keyboard and any other text on the device (see
http://www.tiresias.org/fonts/keyfont/about_key.htm).

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,