[sugar] project idea: Interactive-Sugar-Online-Simulation (ISOS)

Ryan Pavlik abiryan
Thu Nov 15 01:36:26 EST 2007

Sameer Verma wrote:
> Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just stumbled across a very interesting comment by Eduardo Montez over
>> on OLPCnews.com
>> (http://www.olpcnews.com/laptops/xo1/olpc_news_100_laptop_fundraising_drive.html):
>>
>> "off topic: I just got an idea for showing people what Sugar can do.
>> Some should put up an interactive web site where anyone can sign on for
>> free, and all the people who are using it at any time would be the
>> community and show up on the gui, connected through the server instead
>> of the meshnetwork. That way people could experience the collaborative
>> aspect of Sugar, which is its greatest innovation."
>>
>> I certainly think this is an outstanding idea, even though such an
>> implementation is obviously anything but trivial.
>>
>> Such a virtual "Interactive-Sugar-Online-Simulation (ISOS)" could
>> potentially act like one of those "web-operating-systems" that have
>> become somewhat popular lately. It would basically allow for children
>> who use a regular Windows PC to use at least some of the innovations and
>> unique features that Sugar provides. So the requirement for being able
>> to benefit from these outstanding developments would shift from "need to
>> have an X0" to "need to have some computer with a browser and internet
>> connectivity".
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Christoph
>>

> Christoph,
>
> If its only a mock-up simulation of the Sugar environment, it could be
> done in Flash with some interactivity built in.
>
> Sameer

How feasible would it be to run "multiple Sugars" on a terminal server
somewhere, and serve it up over the Java VNC client?  It would require
the least Web-facing modifications.

Ryan

--
Ryan Pavlik
AbiWord Win32 Platform Maintainer, Art Lead: www.abisource.com

"Optimism is the father that leads to achievement."
 -- Helen Keller

"The folder structure in a modern Linux distribution such as Ubuntu
was largely inspired by the original UNIX foundations that were
created by men with large beards and sensible jumpers."
 -- Jono Bacon, The Ubuntu Guide