[sugar] how to make a grayscale image?

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Thu Nov 1 19:16:29 EDT 2007

Roughly speaking, you can calculate a colored pixel's effective luminance by:

Y = 0.3*R+0.59*G+0.11*B

Just set R, G and B to Y, or use a single channel image with the Y
values.  If python were Matlab  (Which I hate, but it's good at this
kind of thing...) you could do that in "one step." Who knows, maybe
there's a built-in filter you can use to accomplish this anyway, but
that's not my territory.

- Eben