[sugar] More than 10 Activities Solution?

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin
Fri May 25 13:42:59 EDT 2007

Le vendredi 25 mai 2007 ? 12:44 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri a ?crit :
> On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 14:34 +0530, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> > >
> > > All the activities will be accessible from the Journal. Kids will be
> > > able to add/remove them from the frame (also the bottom panel of the
> > > frame will be "scrollable").
> >
> > I don't think only scrollable will work so well with GCompris. Currently
> > GCompris organizes activities into a tree. There are 8 top-level
> > activity categories and lots of activities beneath each category.
> >
> > As you know, GCompris is being ported to the sugar environment so we
> > need to think about a proper solution.
>
> In that case GCompris should offer a view of all of its game boards.
> Standard GCompris launch would be to launch into a select a game board
> mode.

Well, we already support that.

To get the list of available activities in GCompris:
gcompris -l list

To run a single activity (here the time reading activity):
gcompris -l /discovery/miscelaneous/clockgame

You can also run in a filter mode to show only a subset of activities by
specifying a directory (here the user will have the regular menu by only
with our reading activity):
gcompris -l /reading

> and have a way of adding a specific board to the task bar.

Is there really a way to do that in Sugar. Does the GCompris weight is
acceptable now (~60MB). On our side we are OK to reorganize our code to
make it possible to bundle each activity separately but this is a lot of
work. Today we have well defined independent activities but they share
the same resources. It's a lot of boring work to split this out and it
brings some new questions.

For example, how to bundle audio voices. We have 80MB of audio voices
but for each country it take about 4MB. So if we create a bundle for the
reading activity, how do we manage the sounds, do we have to create a
reading activity bundle for each language.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net Free educational software for kids