[sugar] More than 10 Activities Solution?

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Fri May 25 13:06:20 EDT 2007

On 5/25/07, John (J5) Palmieri <johnp at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-25 at 14:34 +0530, Joshua N Pritikin wrote:
> > >
> > > All the activities will be accessible from the Journal. Kids will be
> > > able to add/remove them from the frame (also the bottom panel of the
> > > frame will be "scrollable").
> >
> > I don't think only scrollable will work so well with GCompris. Currently
> > GCompris organizes activities into a tree. There are 8 top-level
> > activity categories and lots of activities beneath each category.
> >
> > As you know, GCompris is being ported to the sugar environment so we
> > need to think about a proper solution.
>
> In that case GCompris should offer a view of all of its game boards and
> have a way of adding a specific board to the task bar.  Standard
> GCompris launch would be to launch into a select a game board mode.

Actually, I think as much as possible we want to prevent any kind of
splash selection screens.  What we do want to emphasize, on the other
hand are concise, well designed, self-contained activities.  These
activities should be independent.  They should be able to be passed
around, installed, and placed in the frame individually, not as a
bundle.

As per the Sugar guidelines for design and naming, they should be
called things like "Puzzle", "Soduku", "Experiment", etc.  The .info
files for activities provide a means of tagging activities, so you can
easily tag all of the activities with "Gcompris" and furthermore tag
all of the "algebra" related activities with "math", "algebra",
"numbers", "addition", etc.  This will allow the children to look in
their Journal and search for all of their activities that relate to
"science."  A number of yours would show up, and perhaps a few others.
 The hierarchy and bundled application metaphor isn't part of Sugar,
but by following some of these guidelines, it should be possible to
achieve similar results.

Does that help clarify the logic of the design a bit more?

- Eben