[sugar] [patch][connect-activity] Update to high-level API in latest dbus-python

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie
Tue May 8 07:44:00 EDT 2007

On Tue, 08 May 2007 at 11:27:40 +0100, Dafydd Harries wrote:
> Ar 04/05/2007 am 19:16, ysgrifennodd Simon McVittie:
> > -def guess(x):
>
> telepathy-python's examples/account.py currently does something like guess()
> rather than something like decode(). That should probably be changed.

Agreed.

> > -# Needed for now, as dbus-python's high-level API doesn't support connecting
> > -# to arbitrary addresses, or daemonless connections.
> >  import _dbus_bindings
> >  import dbus.lowlevel
>
> Are these still necessary?

Removed in a later patch.

> > +dbus_main_loop = DBusGMainLoop(set_as_default=True)
>
> Statements in libraries considered dubious. In other words, "import x"
> shouldn't cause side-effects.

"import dbus.glib" causes side-effects (and is vaguely deprecated for
that reason), I'm just making it more explicit here. This should probably
be moved to activity.py and gtkui.py though.

I believe bits of Sugar also import dbus.glib, causing the same magical
side-effects.

> What does this actually do? Does it create a new GLib mainloop? Will it cause
> odd things to happen if another DBusGMainLoop loop has already been installed?

It uses the global default GLib main loop, and is harmless to do
multiple times.

> >  def print_dbus_message(msg):
> Is this still used? If not, remove it.

Will do.

> > +logging.basicConfig()
> > +_logger = logging.getLogger('connect-activity.client')
>
> Is this idempotent? The documentation is ambiguous:
>
>   Does basic configuration for the logging system by creating a StreamHandler
>   with a default Formatter and adding it to the root logger. The functions
>   debug(), info(), warning(), error() and critical() will call basicConfig()
>   automatically if no handlers are defined for the root logger.
>
> Does this cause side effects if a handler is defined for the root logger
> already? (Whatever that means. :P)

logging.basicConfig() has no effect if there is already a handler on the
root logger, although this call ought to be in gtkui.py really (Sugar
already sets up a handler for the root logger).