[sugar] Thinking about accessibility in Sugar & on the OLPC

Peter Korn Peter.Korn
Thu Mar 29 21:57:14 EDT 2007

Hi Edward,

> I would like to take accessibility a step further. We all know about
> the virtues of text-to-speech. It would be a great boost to literacy
> if we could combine that with a karaoke-style text-coloring process or
> an old style bouncing ball to indicate the exact part of the text
> being read. This would provide the same general effect as
> Same-Language Subtitling of Bollywood movies, which is reportedly the
> most effective literacy program ever in India, particularly when done
> for musicals that audiences sing along with. See
> http://www.planetread.org/ for examples and more information.

Yes, absolutely.

Speaking text & highlighting it as it is read is definitely a useful
tool to help many folks learn how to read.  Please see the fourth bullet
in the Accessibility Wiki page section on cognitive impairments
(http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Accessibility#For_people_with_cognitive_impairments)
where I note this, and also note a product from Ireland that has proved
to be very useful in Western classrooms (Read & Write Gold).

I've updated that portion of the wiki to note the planetread technology
as well.

One other consideration to keep in mind with the approach used by
planetread - we mustn't use color as the only indication of something,
as that will impact folks with color blindness.  Giving lots of color
configuration helps with this, and ensuring contrast changes (e.g.
inverse video) will address it.  But for example to change green text to
red text as it is read would be very bad for as much as 1/10th of the
white male population.

Regards,

Peter Korn
Accessibility Architect,