[sugar] setup.py

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk
Tue Mar 20 12:00:39 EDT 2007

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:

> Well the final user story should me more like:
>
> 1 John hack BlockParty using the Develop activity.
> 2 John share it on the network
> 3 Greg see the activity and want to join it
> 4 Greg fetch the activity from John (automatically)
> 5 Greg and John plays
>
> No setup.py involved there...
>
> Right now it's more like:
>
> 1 John hack Blockparty.
> 2 John run setup.py dist
> 3 John put the .xo somewhere on the web
> 4 Greg download Blockparty from there.
>
> I think generating a .xo will continue to be useful in the future. And
> maybe we will still need a way to do it from the command line, but the
> main way to do should be Develop.
>
> Marco

OK, so for somebody creating an activity from scratch, right now, today...
should they even be creating setup.py in their activity bundle?  Is there
one stock setup.py that always works?  Are there differences between one
setup.py and another?  My diffs say no -- and if that's the case, why have
a different setup.py for every activity?

And also -- are we assuming that all activities in the future will be
written using Develop?

--g