[sugar] Re: Develop debugger controls

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg
Thu Mar 15 21:18:21 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 17:36 -0400, Andrew Clunis wrote:

> Hey Marco,
>
> I'm starting to think about where Develop's debugger controls will go.
> Odd as it sounds, the frame might actually be a good place.  It's easily
> accessible, and always-on-top.  The buttons I'd probably need are:
>
> Play
> Pause (maybe the same as Play?)
> Step Over
> Next
> A sugar menu-dropdown (what are they called?) containing the current
> stack (only when paused, of course)
>
> And possibly a button to go back to Develop to look at data structures
> visually, like DDD.
>
> Naturally, these would only be present when debugging an activity.
>
> Thoughts?

Eben might be able to give you a better and more complete answer but...
The frame is reserved for inter-activity actions (opening an activity,
switching zoom levels, clipboard) and stuff which is common to all the
activities (like the list of partecipants or the close/share activity
actions). So conceptually it would seem wrong to put develop specific
actions in it.

I'm sure you are tired to hear this but... I strongly suggest you focus
on getting the basics of the Develop activity strong and well
integrated. And later add more sofisticated features like debugging.

Marco