[sugar] ImportError: No module named wnck

Edward Cherlin echerlin
Tue Mar 13 22:10:07 EDT 2007

Progress! I dealt with all of the external dependencies by looking for
lib<name>-dev and similar names in the apt database. That leaves the
internal dependencies.

On 3/13/07, Ivan Krsti? <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > How should I start debugging this?
>
> See if `sudo apt-get install python-gnome2-desktop` fixes it.

Doesn't work for me. I don't suppose that that should be
python-gnome2-desktop-dev.

Looking inside, I see /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/wnck.so
and the like, but the OLPC instructions say to install python 2.5,
which I have done. Well, that could explain a lot. [sigh]

So which is it? Should I go back to python 2.4, or should I scrounge
around for the 2.5-compatible versions of

Missing dependencies:

    avahi (python module)
    rsvg (python module)
    wnck (python module)
    gtk+-2.0 2.10
    pygtk-2.0 2.10
    xulrunner/firefox 1.8/1.9

Or are there any other hints?

Has anybody put the improvements in our understanding on the OLPC Wiki
page for Sugar on Debian?

> --
> Ivan Krsti? <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | GPG: 0x147C722D

Edward Cherlin