[sugar] Development environment for newcomers

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch
Mon Mar 12 01:01:49 EDT 2007

Ivan Krsti? wrote:
> Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
>
>> I used Gentoo, as it was the only system on which we were able to get a
>> build to run to completion during the sprint (it's also the one with
>> which I am most familiar) but it looks basically the same for users as
>> an Ubuntu desktop.  I've finished the build and have an image
>> ready-to-go, btw.
>>

> We certainly have the bandwidth to host this, so please get in touch
> privately and we'll take care of it.

Okay, will do.
> That said, if I can convince you to look into redoing this kind of image
> based on FC6 or FC7, we'd all be better off. I say this as someone who
> doesn't use Fedora and doesn't want to use Fedora, but given that that's
> what we're using for our builds, I think it simplifies things massively
> for everyone involved if our blessed "dev environment" uses the same
> distribution.

I can try.  It's not a complex process to create the image, just do the
normal installation while running in a virtual machine.  I don't know
that I'm really the right person for the job, but assuming FC is
reasonable about installing the dependencies I should be fine.  Probably
be a week or more before I can clear time to work on the recreation
though (engagement dinner this weekend and paying work calling).  If
someone with FC experience wants to build an image in the meantime I
won't be offended :) .

Have fun,
Mike