[sugar] Development environment for newcomers

drew einhorn drew.einhorn
Sun Mar 11 21:43:47 EDT 2007

My friend Larry Landis and I were at PyCon, but were unable to stay
for the sprints.

We were thinking about starting a similar project in a couple of weeks
when he gets back from a gig in Italy.

Since I got back from PyCon I have been fooling around with
sugar-jhbuild off and on.  Gave it a lot more time and energy
this weekend.

I agree that sugar-jhbuild is not suitable for beginners to
install on their computers.  In addition to taking way too
long to compile (on an average box) and download
(if you are bandwidth deprived, like me), it is way to unstable
for beginners.  Something that worked yesterday may not
work today, once the latest source with new bugs is
retrieved by subversion or git.

We will probably need a different balance between stability
and bleeding edge for sugar itself and the develpment
enviornment generated by:

    ./sugar-jhbuild build-base

I think preparing a pre-built development environment on a
hefty server box that can support a reasonable number of
beginners is the way to go.

We could create an account for them to ssh into if they
are comfortable with the command line.  We could use
ltsp if they need gui-based tools, with freenx if the need
to access the gui over a low bandwidth link.

I have a dim recollection of a unionfs on OpenBSD,
but those guys are way too hostile.  But the Wikipedia
gives me some other ideas:

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UnionFS

We could do a three layer unionfs, the base layer could be a
read only file system with the standard development environment,
each user could have their own read-write lay on top of it in their
home directory, so any modifications they make would be their
own and persistent, and a memory resident cache on top for
performance (if the serve has enough ram).  Or maybe we only
have two layers and do the caching some other way.

Guido has been frustrated trying to get sugar-jhbuild running on
his Ubuntu Dapper box, and kicked off a discussion about what
OS would be best if he decides to build a new box to use
for sugar development.  We should pay attention to that thread.
I have not yet looked to see if he has gotten any responses.
I think Ubuntu Edgy, Feisty, and Fedora Core 6 will be in the
running.  I have no idea if any of them support a unionfs.

On 3/11/07, Ian Bicking < ianb at colorstudy.com> wrote:

> At PyCon a few of us looked at the development environment and how
> newcomers could work on it (the people involved where: Michael Fletcher,
> John Hall, Brian Dorsey, and Jeff Younker and Frank Wilder for a short
> while).  I've put this off a bit, but I wanted to write up our thoughts
> (unfortunately we didn't have real conclusions).
>
> Goal
> ----
>
> My personal goal is to be able to run a coding sprint, where people can
> show up and we give them CDs, USB sticks, etc., and they can get a
> running environment that they can develop on in a reasonable amount of
> time (half hour or so).  I expect a variety of computers, and I don't
> want to depend on them having anything specific setup.
>
> When I've done this in the past with professional programmers using
> software that is reasonably simple to setup, it can still be very hard.
>   I'd like it to be simpler than that, and right now it is much more
> difficult.
>
> I also want to setup a development environment people can use.  There's
> a lot of things to learn at once, so I'd rather people just be able to
> use an editor they are familiar with, and other tools they know
> something about.  Minimizing the number of novel things people have to
> deal with will allow them to actually pay attention to the important
> stuff (like writing code).
>
> Ideas
> -----
>
> I think sugar-jhbuild is pretty much right out; even if it was made
> perfect and totally self contained, I can't see people reasonably
> running it ahead of time, and it certainly takes too long to do at the
> sprint.  One idea Michael has been working on is to do a complete build
> in a virtual environment, and then people can use that environment;
> either with something like VMWare, or potentially produce a live CD.  I
> don't think the CD that is produced from the builds really makes sense
> -- doing stuff like hardware detection is really out of the scope of
> what OLPC should be concerned with.  But if we can setup all the
> dependencies on something suited for a live CD, and install and
> pre-build parts for that CD, maybe that would be workable.  That still
> won't give people the environment they are used to, unless they happen
> to be used to what we produce.  (I think Michael is using Ubuntu?)
>
> I'm more positive about emulation, as it's fairly reliable; i.e., qemu
> or the VMWare player.  You could a hosted/sugar-jhbuild environment, or
> the actual build image.  If you do a sugar-jhbuild environment,
> presumably people will use that environment for all their development,
> using whatever tools we put on there.  They'll inherit any network
> settings and hardware support.  Performance is a little slow; realistic
> for actually running the environment, somewhat tedious (but not
> unacceptable) when running development tools.

> [...]

Drew Einhorn