[sugar] Education?

Bert Freudenberg bert
Fri Mar 9 11:47:48 EST 2007

Hi Guido,

I still think your choice of words was inappropriate. If anything is
an anathema, then it's the huge body of impenetrable C code in linux,
the libraries, X11, gecko, gtk, cairo, and, yes, underlying Python,
too, and even Squeak, though to a much lesser extent. This prevents
opening the hood, seeing how things work, modifying it, constructing
new things etc. *This* is against the OLPC philosophy, which
explicitly encourages constructionist learning.

Sadly, there isn't anything comparable to Etoys in the whole open
source world. Actually, strike that last five words. It's not like
most of it couldn't be done in Python, but for whatever reason,
nobody does it. I'd be happy to hear otherwise, but so far, the
Python community (or anybody else for that matter) to me does not
exactly appear enthusiastic about creating something that could
replace Etoys.

- Bert -