[sugar] Education?

MBurns maburns
Fri Mar 9 05:52:38 EST 2007

On 3/8/07, no body <esorcus at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Isn't the mere presence of eToys on the XO a complete anathema to the
> sugar philosophy?
>
> As the XO is about education and etoys is the only software on the OLPC that
> actually has any relation to education the above is a somewhat confusing
> statement. But maybe I misunderstood and the XO is really about Python...

I think the quote is referencing something else (though I may misunderstand).

The eToys environment is a self-contained world of development. One
that exists within the Sguar world of development. Programs, projects,
source code and objects written in that eToys world do not exist
outside in the Sugar world. You can write a sugar Activity or an eToys
bundle, and, as we have seen in the gaming realm, they can often
accomplish the same end goal.

Now this may or may not be an issue to people(OLPC devs, students,
teacers), they may or may not care, but it is an interesting 'world
inside a world' for this transparent learning machine we are
developing.

--
Michael Burns * Security Student
NET * Oregon State University