[sugar] Trying to build sugar on ubuntu dapper

Ivan Krstić krstic
Wed Mar 7 01:15:14 EST 2007

Executive summary is "hang on, we'll sort this out in the next few
days." People not interested in details can skip the rest of the mail.

Mike C. Fletcher wrote:
> We had to give up on the Dapper build even with a lot of
> packaging help from a power Ubuntu user when we discovered the 2.5
> requirement (he suggested trying Feisty Fox, rather than Edgy, btw).

I spent about an hour on getting sugar built in a Dapper pbuilder today.
I successfully got through 25 of 27 modules built for build-base before
I hit a mysterious mozilla linking error with pango and cairo. The cause
appears to be a strange configuration or environment variable setup by
jhbuild, causing the build to attempt to link with the distro's
pango/cairo instead of those jhbuild built. Making the xulrunner module
manually succeeds when outside of jhbuild and its shell, so it might be
something as braindead as a library path ordering problem. The
succeeding and failing invocations, outside and inside of jhbuild
respectively, are at the end of the mail. I haven't compared them yet.

I didn't have more time to investigate, but will do so in the next few
days. If someone has more time to prod at it, I'd appreciate it; you can
get to where I left off by doing this in a fresh Dapper install:

# Enable universe, if you don't have it enabled already
root at aeryn# echo "deb http://mirror.cs.umn.edu/ubuntu dapper universe"
>> /etc/apt/sources.list

# Install dependencies
root at aeryn# apt-get update; apt-get -y install build-essential cvs
docbook-utils subversion libgtk2.0-dev libidl-dev    gnome-common
gtk-doc-tools libxt-dev automake1.7 automake1.8 automake1.9
python-gtk2-dev    python2.4-avahi git-core cogito python-dev
avahi-utils    libgconf2-dev xserver-xephyr libgnome2-dev
libmatchbox-dev python-cairo-dev    libtiff4-dev python-gnome2-dev
libxdamage-dev libxdamage1 libxcomposite-dev    libgnomeui-dev libtool
libfribidi-dev libgsf-1-dev libbz2-dev libwmf-dev
libgstreamer0.10-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev
libgnomeprintui2.2-dev    libenchant-dev libnspr-dev darcs libxslt1.1
libxslt1-dev firefox firefox-dev    libasound2-dev libncurses5-dev
libsqlite3-dev libxml2-utils wget zip

# Grab jhbuild
root at aeryn# git clone git://dev.laptop.org/sugar-jhbuild

# ftp.gnu.org was down for me via HTTP, but worked over FTP
root at aeryn# sed -i 's/http:\/\/ftp.gnu.org/ftp:\/\/ftp.gnu.org/'
build-scripts/sugar-base.modules

# matchbox wants automake 1.9
root at aeryn# update-alternatives --set automake /usr/bin/automake-1.9

# skip this if you have a single-core/single-CPU machine, otherwise
# replace 3 with n+1, where 'n' is your core/CPU count
root at aeryn# export MAKE="make -j3"

# kick off the build
root at aeryn# cd sugar-jhbuild; ./sugar-jhbuild build-base

* * *

Succeeding xulrunner compile invocation:
    http://paste.debian.net/23202

Failing invocation:
    http://pastie.caboo.se/45214

--