[sugar] Trying to build sugar on ubuntu dapper

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch
Tue Mar 6 22:42:24 EST 2007

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> On 3/6/07, Chris Ball <cjb at laptop.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>    >> python-avahi didn't appear in Ubuntu until Edgy.
>>
>>    > I *think* you'll get it from python-utils in dapper.
>>
>> Might as well add my suggestion in too:  "python2.4-avahi".
>
> Installing that worked, but sugar-jhbuild still tells me that avahi is
> a missing dep.
>
> Installing python-utils failed. I got python2.4-dbus though and then
> the others from Trent's list installed. However the list of missing
> deps spit out by sugar-jhbuild didn't hrink. Should I just try to
> upgrade to edgy?

Sugar jhbuild is going to tell you that it can't find the dependencies
if they are the Python 2.4 versions of the packages AFAIK (sugar-jhbuild
has upgraded to 2.5, so it probably won't see the 2.4 libraries any
more).  We had to give up on the Dapper build even with a lot of
packaging help from a power Ubuntu user when we discovered the 2.5
requirement (he suggested trying Feisty Fox, rather than Edgy, btw).

That said, Ian was able to *build* everything on his (I believe Dapper)
laptop using build-base during the sprint.  I don't *think* he actually
got it working, though.

Our only successful sugar-jhbuild using system libraries was on my
Gentoo laptop upgraded a bit beyond what Gentoo considers "stable".

HTH,
Mike