[sugar] Quick Fix for intro screen problem under qemu with build 282

Dan Williams dcbw
Mon Mar 5 11:47:45 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-05 at 10:36 +0100, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-03-04 at 19:27 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 16:32 -0500, Andrew Clunis wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey folks,
> > >
> > > I volunteered to whip up a CD (with qemu and the ext3 image) for the GDC
> > > conference, but alas, I didn't save the instructions Marco gave me on
> > > IRC that fix the issue where qemu's lack of a camera makes the Intro
> > > screen refuse to advance.
> > >
> > > Anyone have this for me?
> >
> > What's the exact problem here?  The IntroFallbackVideo class was created
> > for the non-camera case and should work here too.  The only problem
> > there is if you don't have some picture on the drive :)
>
> Couple of problems afaict:
>
> 1 We are not using Fallback on qemu, because "import glive" will
> succeed. Maybe there is a way to detect if the hardware actually have a
> cam that glive can use.

Ah, ok.  That makes sense then.  We should figure out the camera device
and if that's not actually there, do the fallback.  Ideally this would
work with any random v4l2 camera too, not just the one on the laptop.

> 2 There are no pictures on the drive... Sort of funny but... it's
> probably a real problem for the qemu testing (we don't want people to
> have to add pictures to their images to have the thing starting up...)

Right.  We should just stick a random picture on.  How about Kiu's?

> Can you remember me the exact reason why having a picture is mandatory?

Because when on the laptops, there will be a camera that we can depend
on by definition.  I'd guess that we just want to use Kiu's picture from
way back and put that in the homedir or something so that at least
theres something you can pick.

Dan