[sugar] server side

MBurns maburns
Thu Mar 1 16:57:32 EST 2007

On 3/1/07, Tom Hoffman <tom.hoffman at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is my understanding that each school will receive a server with
> their allotment of laptops, although in terms of hardware it may not
> be much more than an XO with a big hard drive.
>
> Is anyone focusing on the server software at this point?

As mentioned in the February 17th Community News letter [1]:

>7. School server: John Watlington is joining OLPC to head our School
>Server project; he will also be helping out on completing the
>Generation-1 system until a hardware architect can be found.

> Also, what is likely to be the web server used?  Is Apache too big (I presume)?

School server development is *just now* beginning to ramp up, and so
such things are still in the air. I wouldn't be surprised if a
non-apache server was used (something in python, or just lighterweight
in general), but the server would be sufficiently powerful to run
Apache if they want its featureset.

The Wiki has a relevant stub articles about the server you might be
interested in [2]. And there are a couple Trac tickets to look at,
specifcally [3].

Hope this helps.

[1] http://mailman.laptop.org/pipermail/community-news/2007-February/000045.html
[2] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/School_server