[sugar] Smaller XO Sugar arrow cursor?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki
Tue Jun 26 22:50:00 EDT 2007

  Manuel,

> Are you talking from the kid's perspective (i.e. their opinions) or from your your view of what the kid's opinion is?
> =)

  You are surely aware of some of Alan's posts like this one?

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/sugar/2006-December/000919.html

Your question now raises on what basis you snap Alan's opinion with a
short sentense...

On most of the text, the cursor becomes an I-beam so it is less of an
issue; however, on a tab in the top Sugar frame, scroll bar, buttons,
and etc., it sure does get in your way.  I think the biggest issue is
the long horizontal bar of the arrow cursor.  On other conventional
platforms, the default arrow cursor is tyipcally more "pointy".  And,
now I see there is a good reason for it (As one of my friend Abe-san
suggested).

  Sugar seems to opted to match the cursor's appearance with the XO
logo and design of other icons, but not sure if that really justifies
this.

  Unfortunately, this is more of a problem in Etoys as it doesn't
change the cursor to the I-beam form by default.  In Etoys, you can
embed things to others and make Text a button for example, so a
blanket policy to change the cursor to the I-beam is not what you
would want, probably.

  (It is true that we haven't done empirical usability study with kids
on XO.  But, we should aspire such study over mere "kids opinion".)

-- Yoshiki