[sugar] Rebe

Alan Kay alan.kay
Thu Jun 21 17:18:51 EDT 2007

Well, objects need some machinery behind them. The machinery could be
Squeak, or it could be Python, or JS, or ...

As I've mentioned in the past, on the OLPC, one of the ways that
integration could have been done (and still could be done) would be
to use something like X windows without frames to allow compositing
of graphical front-ends of media objects.

A composited collection would be what Etoys calls a "project", etc.
 From this point of view everything is like a widget but could be
made from different stuff,

 From the object perspective all the graphical properties of the
objects/"windows" are the same, but the back-end drivers for the
phenomena could be rather different. This is "windows without
windows", which is kind of what the OLPC really needs.

Also, since Squeak allows plugins, all of this could be done in
Squeak, but I don't think that is the point here. I would rather see
a richer better architecture using the chosen paradigm (e.g. Python)
than do any "language wars".

But I will just gently say again that "Sugar can and should be a lot
more integrated in its approach to dealing with many different kinds
of media objects. They really need to be combined freely and not be
bound to applications but should all be able to populate any
"document" or "project".) Etoys uses one way to do this.

Cheers,

Alan