[sugar] Kuku Activity

Julius B. Lucks julius
Mon Jun 18 16:47:40 EDT 2007

Hi All,

The Kuku team recently did a bunch of work on Kuku Anakula during the
OLPC Game Jam.  The kids (and us!) had a great time, and we would
like to polish things up in time for the June 25 mini-content
release.  To that end, we would like as much feedback as possible.
The code needs a lot of refactoring to be sure, but we would mainly
like to know how to improve the game design.

The game is a number munchers clone for the XO, and at this point
uses simple multiplication questions, with plans to expand the
question content in the future.  Right now we have a start screen,
followed by game play which ends when the three lives are gone, or
five questions are answered correctly.

The description of the game with screenshots can be found at

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Kuku

Instructions are there for getting the latest code version as well.

Alternatively, you can get a tar file of the latest code at

http://dev.laptop.org/~lucks/Kuku.tar.gz

This is all ready to go for running on an XO (just untar in an
activities directory), and should also run on any machine that has
python (2.5) and pygame (1.7.1) installed by going inside the
Kuku.activity directory and typing

python kuku.py

We would love any feedback you can give.  Please reply to the list,
or edit the Kuku talk page (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Talk:Kuku) to
add your thoughts and suggestions.  In particular, it would be very
useful to have feedback on game play design in terms of progression
of question difficulty, and any other ideas to keep the kids
interested in the game.

We appreciate it!

Team Kuku