[sugar] Spreadsheets/ Slideshows

Alan Kay alan.kay
Sun Jun 3 09:50:22 EDT 2007

Yes, you may certainly make the document public. I will try to add
the remaining "50 pages" sometime in late June and early July, but I
tried to make the existing 50 pages stand on its own. Enclosed is a
pdf of the current version.

P.S. I still think that what I've been advocating since early last
year -- an OLPC version of something like Etoys/Scratch/Logo that is
deeply integrated with OLPC media -- is a really good idea. There is
nothing sacred about Etoys. It only has two main things going for it
(a) it has been tested with many thousands of children around the
world over the last 10 years, and (b) its range of applications for
children's authoring using "math and media".

The weakness of Etoys is that it is primarily aimed at 4-5-6 graders
(and does well with this age group). It has been used successfully in
Japan with 6 and 7 year olds despite the UI not being the best fit
for them. And it has been used with older children as well (they need
a few more features from the underlying Squeak and a somewhat
different UI -- some of which we are doing this summer).

OTOH, the presentation facilities are pretty useful -- especially for
dynamic presentations of actual work. I've been using them
exclusively for all my talks since about 1998.

But quite a bit could be done better on all fronts. For the OLPC XO,
especially wrt to integration both across and down (so that there is
a "Model T" version of all the media in children's script, and all
media objects can be mixed).

Since Python was chosen as the underlying programmatic representation
for the XO, I tried to convince the Python community last year to
take a shot at making an Etoys-like environment, but as far as I can
tell there have been no takers. I think Ivan has some interest in
this as well. So I agree with the nature of Eben's desires.

The key word is integration, and, as you well know, this is a lot
harder - both in design and integration - to pull off gracefully than
it it seems at first glance. I would be very happy to see an
environment that is as comprehensive as (or more ideally, much better
than) Etoys -- especially if it can be placed at a more fundamental
level than as a separate Activity. (That was actually my original
hope for Sugar.)

Cheers,

Alan