[sugar] Initial Security Patches

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Tue Jul 31 05:24:55 EDT 2007

On 7/30/07, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> Dear Sugar developers,
>
> Attached are the first round of containerization patches for review. These
> patches cause Sugar to use Rainbow to launch activities and cause Sugar to
> notify Rainbow of foreground-activity-changed events, both conditional on the
> existence of the flag-file '/etc/olpc-security'. They apply cleanly and work
> for me on a 539 installation.

There are a couple of general issues related to the
one-process-per-activity-instance approach.

1 Memory. Every activity process (even a trivial one) uses about 8 MB
(Resident - Shared) currently.
2 Activities lose the ability to provide services, which might be
useful for direct interaction between activities. Ex. Write activity
getting an image from the Camera activity.

I'm not sure if they are blockers, but probably worth thinking about.

Marco