[sugar] Multiple documents

Bert Freudenberg bert
Fri Jul 27 06:23:51 EDT 2007

Seriously folks, this is not just a request for an API extension.

This is *begging* for the non-trivial aspects of the Sugar
environment to be fleshed out, at least in writing, if not in code.
We're hopping from trial to trial with patchy interim solutions. And
this how many months before the kids will have to use this stuff?

Even just this one particular issue: The idea of having kids just
stop and resume activities is a great one. But I believe that not a
single non-trivial activity for now resumes to exactly the state it
was in when stopped. Maybe etoys could come close soon, but only
because etoys projects were designed from the beginning to be just a
snapshot of the current UI - and have been refined over several years
and thus are indeed comparable to what Sugar aspires to. Note this is
not a "Python vs. Smalltalk" debate, Etoys is just the system I'm
most familiar with so I take that as example - my view is necessarily
colored by what I'm working on.

The questions of how multiple activity instances are handled in Sugar
remains open. And even the way it is handled now is going to be
replaced "soon" with those security containers which from what I
heard yet appear to make it even harder to create efficient
solutions. In the earlier days of Sugar it appeared as if an activity
implementation would be allowed to manage its instances on its own.
Step by step this has been made harder. Now it appears to be required
that every instance is a separate process that starts and lives on
its own in its virtual container. Which is way inefficient, I
seriously hope I misunderstand intentions. But requests for detailed
plans have not been answered either.

Sorry for the rambling, but it appears as if everyone is so immersed
in their problems at hand that nobody takes time to step back and
look at the big picture. I've been following the public discussions
for almost a year now, I'm trying to soak up every bit of information
I can get, I've even been at the OLPC headquarters for direct
discussion, but still I feel lost. Yes I read the source, and I even
documented what I found, thank you. It's not helping for the big
picture. How anyone could expect external developers to contribute
anything significant is beyond me.

- Bert -