[sugar] Keyboard indicator on sugar

Simos Xenitellis simos.lists
Thu Jan 11 11:34:15 EST 2007

Hi All,
I tried out a recent OLPC build and here are some comments/suggestions. I
had a look at the available mailing lists and I think that this one appears
more suitable for the discussion.

For some languages it appears there will be a need for a "keyboard layout
indicator", showing what keyboard layout is currently active. For example,
for the Egyptian OLPC, it would show either English or Arabic.

What I would like to see is a keyboard layout indicator on Sugar; a minimal
application that that simply shows the current layout code. Comparing the
keyboard indicator module in GNOME (maintained by Sergey Udaltsov), this
should be minimal and lightweight. The configuration of the keyboard layouts
is assumed it has been done during before the delivery of the OLPC to the
end user.

What I propose is
1. For the cases that only one keyboard layout is active, the keyboard
layout indicator applet simply exits (is not available)
2. When two keyboard layouts are active, the applet shows the two-letter
(sometimes 3-letter) layout code. For example, for English and Arabic it
would be EN and AR respectively.
3. The layout names should be ideally localisable. An existing textual
domain with this information is available at
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/registry.cgi?domain=xkeyboard-config
In any case, only two strings need to be translated, so the messages could
be added to sugar.

Simos