[sugar] activity sharing protocol

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen
Mon Feb 19 11:05:27 EST 2007

Dafydd Harries wrote:
> Ar 19/02/2007 am 15:45, ysgrifennodd Marco Pesenti Gritti:
>> On Mon, 2007-02-19 at 14:04 +0000, Robert McQueen wrote:
>>> API for chats
>> How this is different from tubes? Do we plan to have something chat
>> specific?
>
> The idea is to use the existing Telepathy chat interface:

More generally, Telepathy tubes are only intended for use when the
underlying protocol /doesn't/ have a way of doing what you're trying to
achieve. In the case of functionality that's intrinsic to the IM
protocols we support, such as chat or voice/video calls (and maybe in
future, file transfer), then Telepathy will have an interface for it,
and the backend will implement that interface to allow you to access
those protocol features in the native way for that protocol.

> My guess is that the slowest part is going to be the Gabble modifications to
> support PEP -- maybe a week or two.

For Phase 1, yes. For Phase 2, we need to actually spec and implement
the tubes stuff, which I wouldn't be quite so quick to decide was
trivial. :)

Regards,
Rob