[sugar] A philosophical question

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk
Mon Feb 12 10:11:01 EST 2007

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007, Mike C. Fletcher wrote:

> Um, speaking as a Gentoo user, that's last bullet is a strange statement.
> The problem seems to be that you guys seem to be building from *head* on some
> huge number of projects (I say seem to be because I just wound up having to
> give up trying to get sugar installed due to broken builds).  That would
> require very high discipline on all of the projects to make it work.
>
> If you had your build environment use a tag/revision in the source control
> system for each project and only update the version used when your core
> developers *know* that the new version has built and run on a couple of dozen
> boxes you'd have a far greater chance of getting new developers built without
> problems.  In short, you'd have a testing tag and a stable tag for each
> component.
>
> Someone who just wants to use the environment (i.e. almost *all* new
> developers) could then build the stable tags, someone who wants to work with
> the latest and greatest could use the testing tags and contribute to the
> testing of them by their building.  When everyone is building head in all
> these projects, by contrast, you are basically having every new developer
> build a different piece of software, with no idea whether what they are
> building is actually usable.  Given that new developers are *new*, and thus
> unlikely to know whether they are seeing a failure in their usage or the code
> itself, knowing that what they are trying to do is *possible* is a great help
> for them.
>
> Sure, someone might get code that's 2 or 3 weeks out of date, but if they are
> working on a particular module, they'd set their tag to "HEAD" for that piece
> and be on the bleeding edge for that piece.

+1.  Especially since this is precisely what Sugar users end up
replicating -- the hard way.  I'm building Sugar in its entirety, every
day, and whenever I find a build that "works", I use it for a while.

Requires some additional overhead to determine what Sugar builds are
stable, of course -- and when you're moving rapidly in HEAD, that can be
difficult.

--g