[sugar] Activity bundle tutorial

Don Hopkins dhopkins
Fri Feb 9 06:22:19 EST 2007

Thanks a lot for writing the activity tutorial, and for answering
questions about them!

I have some questions about activities, and would appreciate anything
tips you can give me, please:

What's a good example of an activity that starts and manages another X11
process, like Squeak?

What are the issues surrounding activities that are implemented as
external processes, as opposed to activities implemented in Python?

Is it possible to program activities in Python that run in the Sugar
"desktop manager" process (or whatever it's called), or do they run as
separate Python processes?

I suppose that would make it possible to quickly start light weight
activities, but it would not firewall them from each other and restrict
their privileges... How's that intended to work?

Can you make light weight (to use an ancient term) "desk accessory"
sub-activities that are built into the Sugar manager, that you can pop
up and use quickly while in other activities? (Kinda like the chat
window?) Are those considered activities, or are they called something
else?

I'm interested to know what ways there are to hook into the Sugar user
interface, and plug in various kinds of user interface thingamabobs.

    -Don