[sugar] multiple gtk.Windows hide() and show()

Erik Blankinship erikb
Mon Aug 27 16:57:57 EDT 2007

Thanks for replying Dan, much appreciated.

Let me explain what I am trying to achieve: I am creating a "picture in a
picture effect" (using XV in a window, amongst other windows).  GTK doesn't
play well with overlapping widgets, and gtk.Fixed() doesn't guarantee
Z-order.  So I am using a stack of gtk.Windows without decoration to achieve
the desired effect, but the appearance is that everything looks like a nice
gtk layout.

On 8/27/07, Dan Winship <dwinship at redhat.com> wrote:

> Erik Blankinship wrote:
> > A UI I am working on has multiple gtk.Windows, which I would like to
> > hide when they are resizing (to avoid screen flashes).
> >
> > The multiple gtk.Windows are set_transient() for each other, allowing me
> > to "stack" them, and when I hide() and show(), the flicker is indeed
> gone!
>
> "transient_for" doesn't mean "stack this window above this other
> window". It means (quoting from the ICCCM) "this window is a pop-up on
> behalf of the named window". Swapping two windows around so that
> sometimes one of them is transient for the other and other times vice
> versa makes no sense by this definition, so there's no telling what the
> WM will do if you do that.

I don't care about recalling set_transient, I just want windows to show up
consistently in the expected order.  I am not changing what is set_transient
for what, just trying to get windows to show up again by recalling that
method.