[sugar] Sharing data between activities.

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpgritti
Fri Aug 24 07:23:04 EDT 2007

On 8/24/07, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at tomeuvizoso.net> wrote:

> > Well, that is by far the best idea I've heard on the shared content
> > issue! So I could provide the data as a separate bundle and kids use it
> > from the Journal. And, if I can get my way with tagging and listing
> > stuff from the datastore programatically I can even keep the categorized
> > view in the activities...
>
> I think you'll be able to invoke a method in the journal or shell
> through dbus that will popup a window with the list of objects in the
> journal. You could set the initial query parameters (file type, tags,
> etc.) and the user will select whatever object he wants and then your
> activity will be able to retrieve that object.
>
> This approach should give you what you want while retaining security and
> privacy. Do you agree?
>
> What I don't know yet is what happens when the user installs a .xol. Is
> it autoexpanded and new objects are created in the journal from its
> contents?

Right now the idea is that .xol files will be installed in the
filesystem. The journal will keep the original .xol file (or a
reference to his installation at some point) so that it can be deleted
and shared.

The spec is here (I didn't write it nor I know the details of it):
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Extended_bundles

The interaction with the Journal can certainly be refined and
expanded. I was proposing a direction rather than a well formed
solution :)

Marco