[sugar] Privately-owned data on XOs?

Samuel Klein meta.sj
Fri Aug 24 03:12:51 EDT 2007

On 8/24/07, Ivan Krsti? <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 2007, at 1:06 AM, Samuel Klein wrote:
>
> > Many parts of the system become simpler when anyone can read anything
> > by default.
>
> Yeah, no. I could be convinced about application/resource files, but
> user documents are not going to be public by default as long as I
> have something to say about it.

Having user documents that are innately private runs counter to the
principles of an environment designed for sharing.  This is a familiar
model of ownership and privacy, but not necessarily an appropriate one
in this case.

For our purposes the benefits of pervasive sharing outweigh those of
pervasive secrecy.   What is the educational benefit of making
documents private?

We are designing a system to help children collaborate.  We should
support those who want to make other choices, but should attend first
to those who share.

SJ and Michael