[sugar] Sharing data between activities.

Ivan Krstić krstic
Thu Aug 23 23:24:00 EDT 2007

On Aug 23, 2007, at 11:11 PM, Samuel Klein wrote:
> Except for the common situation of a program that wants to read from
> image, midi, media, text, game, or other files that the user has
> explicitly chosen to share with the world.

Right. I'm unopposed to allowing programmatic enumeration and access
to such files without user interaction as long as the user
interaction to deem files public in this way is obvious and trusted
(e.g. from the journal). Eben?

> The case at hand seems to be a set of data explicitly flagged for
> public consumption, as a property of the library it is part of [or by
> its author].  A dedicated space for 'published' material produced
> while running a given activity could be made world-readable, and
> programmatically readable by other activities, without loss of privacy
> or risk of data destruction.

You don't want an activity being able to deem a user document world-
readable; you want the user to do it herself. What about files an
activity ships? There's an argument to be made that the activity
ought to be able to deem some of them world-readable in the manifest.
This doesn't make me _happy_, but I could potentially be convinced
it's a good idea. So far, no one has put forward a really compelling
argument.

--
Ivan Krsti? <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org