[sugar] A Launcher Activity

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Wed Aug 15 15:19:01 EDT 2007

> As for everything else, all my logic assumes the existence of launchers,
> and I can only argue details based on that assumption. If not having
> launchers is a good thing, and a desired feature, all that's left for me
> is to pass this information upstream for consideration, which I'll be
> doing now.

But still assuming a launcher activity, we have another activity that
> bears no gain in having it shared and is not less of an activity just
> because of that. I must admit we have plans on changing that, but still...
> Also, would it be hard, or something to avoid, to allow certain
> activities to state they don't want to be put in the Journal or should
> not be sharable?

I think our main goal is one of consistency and simplified interactions.
 One drawback of launchers is that each developer might implement it in a
different way, removing consistency.  Arguing for a single "OLPC ordained"
launcher seems moot, since the Journal already provides this in a generic
and dynamic way.  Another drawback is the activity model, which basically
assumes that an activity is all at once an "application" (activity) that is
running in a single "window" (fullscreen) which represents a specific "file"
(object).  We feel that this model makes strong connections between journal
entries (and their versions) and the running instances in the mesh, makes
the notion of sharing and scoping simpler to handle, and makes best use of
the screen (which is small) while helping the kids focus on one thing at a
time.  This model is completely new, and not what most developers expect,
but we sincerely hope that it doesn't limit creative potential.

As much as possible, for both consistency and simplicity, we're trying to
avoid special casing things. Of course, we certainly can't assume that all
activities will be sharable, but we also don't necessarily want to assume
that they never could be.  Journaling is another issue, because as soon as
certain activities don't journal there is no way to keep record of them,
since this is essentially the saving mechanism.  This of course brings up
the notion of activities which don't produce artifacts (files or objects).
 One of our primary goals is creative expression, which of course encourages
the creation of artifacts naturally. Certain activities, such as games,
don't necessarily version, or have resultant "files" or objects at all
historically, but a journal entry which indicates a running score tally
("you've won 5 of 8 chess matches") can still be interesting and useful as a
history of the child's interactions with the laptop.

I can work with the fact that, in principle, launcher
> activities are not what Sugar was designed for, but I'm sensing a
> terrible change in the way the whole system is being designed now, from
> a totally open "here's a great and fully supported way of doing things,
> but you are welcome to be as creative as you want" into a "here's how we
> allow you to be creative". It's starting to frighten me a bit :)

This is all going to come down to community and feedback.  I'd really like
to think that the models and rules we set up are an interesting point of
departure for a wide variety of new and exciting activities. If, on the
other hand, particular aspects of the system are proven severely limiting,
we may need to reconsider them in light of both the problems or limitations
they cause vs. the simplicity or consistency which they help preserve.

Thanks for the feedback!

- Eben