[sugar] A Launcher Activity

Eben Eliason eben.eliason
Wed Aug 15 13:36:09 EDT 2007

I'm sorry I didn't missed the beginning of this discussion.  I have to say,
I'm a little concerned about the underlying principles at work here, since
we've been doing everything we can to eliminate the notion of "launchers" or
"splash screens" altogether.  TamTam used to have this, but was broken up in
favor of 3 distinctly separate activities.
The concept of a launcher doesn't really fit well with the Sugar object or
collaboration models.  If I open a launcher activity, what do I get?  Do I
get a Journal entry telling me I launched a launcher? Likewise, if I share a
launcher, what do I get?  It seems like the idea of the launcher activity
here is taking over a task which the Journal is already itself designed for.

Each activity should be self contained (as you've mentioned yours are), so
that they can be individually tracked and versioned by the Journal, and
individually shared across the mesh.  This model works well with Sugar.
 This also means that each of these self contained activities will have its
own entry in the Journal (the activity object itself), from which new
instances of the activity can be launched directly.  By applying a single
filter in the Journal, the child could have a view of all the MMM
activities.  In order to support this, simply tag each activity object with
"MMM" and "MaMaMedia" in the activity.info file.  A search or filter for
this tag will provide a "launcher-like" service, without the need for a
separate activity, hidden or otherwise.  Of course, each should also be
tagged uniquely as well, so that they can come up independently when the
child looks for a "math" activity vs. a "spelling" one, for instance.

The notion of shared data is still a consideration, but one that should be
handled independently I believe.  I think we should squash the notion of
launcher activities up front, since Sugar was never designed with this type
of interaction in mind.  The Journal is great for launching and providing
views of activity sets, particularly because it doesn't require a static
grouping, and I think we should emphasize that.

- Eben