[sugar] Activit Bundle Issues

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu
Wed Aug 1 14:11:23 EDT 2007

Hi,

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 13:23 -0400, Chris Maire wrote:
> I've been fiddling around trying to build an activity and having a lot of
> trouble. First off, I think the wiki is a little confusing in this
> area...information about building activities is spread across several pages
> (Activity Bundles, Creating an Activity, and Sugar Activity Tutorial). While
> this wasn't a major problem, I feel like it would be much easier if these
> were condensed in some way, although perhaps there is a reason for this
> that's beyond my limited understanding.

Agreed, we need to improve this greatly.

> Anyway, when I try to run setup.py to build my activity ('$sudo ./setup.py')
> I get a Command Not Found error. Being that it's a python file, I tried
> '$sudo python ./setup.py' and got:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./setup.py", line 1, in <module>
>     from sugar.activity import bundlebuilder
> ImportError: No module named sugar.activity
>
> What's wrong here? do I have to specify where sugar.activity is, because I
> haven't been able to find any such file anywhere. I'm kinda new at this, so
> it's entirely possible that I'm making some simple mistake.

You shouldn't run as root, so no sudo there.

Also, you should run that command inside a sugar-jhbuild shell. To do
so, follow the instructions in [1] if you still haven't, and after a
successful build:

$ cd sugar-jhbuild
$ ./sugar-jhbuild shell
$ cd source/myactivity
$ python setup.py dev

This will create a link to the source directory in ~/Activities so the
activity appears in the sugar frame.

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sugar_with_sugar-jhbuild

Hope this helps,

Tomeu