[sugar] [OLPC India] xbook : pdf viewer in $100 laptop

Don Hopkins dhopkins
Fri Apr 20 00:14:01 EDT 2007

Hello, Kumar.

I will write some stuff to the wiki page about the ebook reader, to
describe what I've been working on and where we could take it.

I agree, it would be great to have a voice synthesizer read the text out
loud!

There's a great, fast, small open source speech synthesizer called
"flite" from CMU:

http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/flite/

A commercial version of flite and a bunch of voices (and demos) are
available from Cepstral:

http://www.cepstral.com

Cepstral develops commercial quality voices, including US English, UK
English, Italian, German, Canadian French, Americas Spanish, and Woofing
Dog (which is the most universally recognized international language by
far).

The difficult part about speech synthesis on the OLPC is that it
requires a huge amount of meticulous production work to make a voice for
any particular language, and the OLPC is intended to support many
different languages.

I asked how much it cost to produce a custom voice, and they estimated
the production work would cost about $10,000 for an English voice, and
more for voices in other languages (especially if they haven't done the
language before), but less for animals like dogs and cats ;-).

It would be way cool if Cepstral could donate some of the voices they've
developed for other languages, for use by kids on the OLPC!

There are some good free English voices, of course, so we could
certainly ship an English speech synthesizer.
An English voice would be helpful for teaching English, but making
voices for all the different languages the OLPC will support is an
enormous task.

A good low-tech approach for now would be for the eBook reader to enable
recording and playing back an audio voice-over of a real person reading
each page.

    -Don