[sugar] eBook software

Ian Bicking ianb
Mon Apr 16 11:15:02 EDT 2007

Ivan Krsti? wrote:
> Stephen Thorne wrote:
>> What I was thinking was possibly using the web browser and a local
>> light weight http server of some kind (SimpleHTTPServer or something)
>> that would serve ajaxy data to the web browser and integrate with
>> things like the journal. This way even if the Web activity with its
>> MozEmbed component dies via OOM, the backend store can still be
>> written (and the backend store can take SIGDANGER signals and cache
>> that data to disk).
>
> This is exactly what's being worked on.

Is there any reason why a server application would be better at this
than the browser itself?  (Besides the fact that possibly no one in this
discussion has any familiarity with the innards of the browser.)
Firefox after all is saving quite good session information now
(including exact scroll location and partially-filled forms), and the
browser is just as capable of listening for SIGDANGER as any other
application.