[sugar] Write Activity.

msevior at physics.unimelb.edu.au msevior
Fri Apr 13 11:38:53 EDT 2007

Hi everyone,
            I just been pointed to the new mockups for Write.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Write

We have almosts all the features requested in libabiword for this. The
only one currently missing is rotating the image, but this should not be
too hard to implement.

It is certainly an interesting design, I'm not enough of an expert to know
if this accessible to children but I can it could well be.

I have a few questions about this.

What is the time frame for implementing this?

I notice that undo/redo is only available for text, whereas all the
manipulations shown in the mockups can be undone/redone. Does it make
sense to provide undo/redo for all toolbars or even on the menu bar?

Do you intend that different toolbars are automatically changed upon
context? For example, if a user clicks on an image, does the toolbar
change to "image" automatically?

Regarding "insertTable", I think our little inserttable widget which lets
the user interactively size the dimensions is easier and more intuative
than selecting x and y dimensions.

Regarding the table toolbar, there are two entries shown with "100" and
"24", which appear to be size in percent of the width of the page of the
horizontal and vertical dimensions. Is that correct? I wonder if these are
neccessary? It seems a rather esoteric idea to young children. The width
an heights of the columns can be adjusted by dragging the column and row
seperators on screen.

In there place you might want to provide buttons to merge and split cells
horizontally and vertically.

Regarding the page margins, could you clarify how you would like this to
be displayed on screen? Currently we suppress the top, bottom, right and
left margins to get the maximum amount of text on screen. To show margins
we go into what we call "print view" which is what the text will look like
once printed. Given this, do you intend for write documents to be printed?
If so should we enable printing for Write?

Thanks very much, it is an interesting design and it's nice to a get a
direction.

Cheers

Martin